Saturday, May 12, 2012

DAY 1: Katie


       So our adventure begins, I can hardly believe. After a year of planning and dreaming the day is here we in the car and heading for a month across our beautiful country. Yesterday I would say was a bit stressful as David and I were trying to run around gathering everything, and then trying to get it all to fit in the car, lets just say there was barely room for us ( it was a challenge to make David chose exactly what was necessary for the trip haha). We go the car packed and finally went to sleep for a few hours anyway, up at 5:30 to leave ASAP, but getting up before the sun is a little easier if you have an amazing Father like I do who was already in the kitchen making us breakfast and packing us a lunch for the road…so appreciated. After we ate we grabbed the last minute things, which had us running back in to the house every few seconds, moving each time a little closer to the car. We said our good bye and finally got in the car, we made it all the way to the end of my street, before I realized, oops I left my phone, ahhh that was important, we went back grabbed the phone and then hit road for real this time. I made it a whole five minutes before passing our from the exhausting past two days of packing, finishing exams, leaving Boone, packing for the trip and barely any sleep in between.
            Our first destination is Lamberts café aka the House of Throwed Rolls in Foley Alabama. Our drive there was already interesting with random dance parties, to a strange festival at  rest stop where there a dulcimer band and a Hurst with a casket in side, that was painted to say “Meth+You+Death”. It was very strange. The rest of the drive was full of cars and me trying to get David to play road trip games, but all he wanted to do was tell me all of the really depressing facts about how much trash there is in the world in his sustainability book, I didn’t win this battle, so I sang louder. David also wants me to add in here that we saw four outlet malls, listened to Herman Cain complain about something, and switched through a lot of radio stations. Over all our first day was a relaxing one. We decided since we made good time in Alabama that we would drive down to the beach, it took longer to drive there then we stayed but it was nice too see. After the beach we went to the house of Throwed Rolls, if you have never been, Go! You walk into the restaurant and it covered in old memorabilia about the family, who started it, then you sit down and someone yells “hot rolls” and they start throwing them, big delicious rolls. It is so much fun and you will leave so full all you do is lay down and stretch out in the parking lot which is what I had to do, I think I was in a food coma. 


Were heading now to spend the evening in New Orleans with a family friend of David’s grandmother. I am looking foreword to the rest of the trip. Our first day ended with God blessing us with one of the most amazing sunsets in Mississippi, which I am going to take as a sign that this trip will go well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment